Custom Search

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Suits Me - Following Your Dream

When I was 10, my great dream was to land a job where I could carry a briefcase and wear a power-suit. I was a good girl and worked hard to make it happen. At 23, I thought that all my dreams had come true when I landed a position as Marketing Manager in a multinational company with silver cufflinks and a briefcase full of decisions to make. It was great for a while, the job certainly had its benefits. But I felt unsettled and my moods directly mirrored what was going on at work. A naturally happy person, I couldn't work out why I was so miserable.

I wish I could remember the name of the book that spelled it out for me in simple print. It had something to do with being aware of every decision you make and the reasons for making it. I took action and it occurred to me that I never chose my profession based on a conscious decision. My career did not align with my wants, needs or passions, rather I was simply good at it. After great soul searching I realised that I was becoming increasingly dependent on material things and other people for my happiness. The answer was inside me, not in my wallet or quarterly performance review. I wrote my lists and realised that what is most important for me is to have control over my time and to have the ability to help others. So I quit the corporate rat race and started my own health website. I don't make the money I used to, but I have complete control over my time and I help a lot of people learn about how to stay healthy and treat their health conditions naturally.

Thanks to some soul-searching, I can say with pride that I'm entirely accountable for my own happiness and I no longer rely on a good day at work or a pay rise to feel content. Ironically, my childhood dreams have taken a 180 degree turn. At 24, my great dream is to work in my pajamas and never carry a briefcase again.

Kristy Lee is webmaster of Australia's independent vitamin information website http://www.healthycomparisons.com.au


No comments: